YOUR NEW BILL PAY FEATURE IS ACTIVATED IN QUICKBOOKS!
How to Use and Troubleshoot QuickBooks Online Bill Pay Feature
Please read this entire document – this feature is nice but you will find that QuickBooks technical support people do not know much about the bill pay app, and the bill pay app people know nothing about the software. The bill pay app from “intuit” is not actually supported by Intuit. Reading this first will help you prevent problems.
First: Set up vendors properly to allow important information to flow out of QuickBooks and into the bill pay check cutting service. There are several REQUIRED fields in the vendor profile, show below.
- Enter vendor bills into QuickBooks as they are received just as you normally would.
- Ensure the vendor profile has everything you need for bill pay – see red arrows below. Click “Edit Vendor” from the Vendor center. In the “Address Info” tab, you MUST have Company Name, Phone and Address filled out; and “print on check as” should contain a vendor name if it’s something different. The vendor name is limited to no more than 30 characters and should not contain “special” characters like “& , %” This will cause an unglorious crash.
- There is one more required piece of information – the account number you have with the vendor. This cannot be blank and must not contain special characters “& , “ etc. Otherwise this will cause QuickBooks to crash. Next, click the Additional Info Tab shown below. You MUST have an account number filled in (this is the number the vendor assigns to your account, for example a Verizon account number or a Comcast account number). This will print on your check to ensure proper credit to your account. If you don’t have one, enter your name or something so that vendors will recognize your payment. It is also highly recommended (but not necessary for bill pay) that you enter the vendors Tax ID. This greatly reduces effort required for end of the year 1099 printing and E-filing directly out of QuickBooks!! You’re almost done!
Second: Pay some bills:
- Go to the Banking Menu, select Bank Feeds -> Bank Feeds Center.
- Highlight the section “QuickBooks bill Pay – New!” (see pic) and select “Create New->Pay bills”
- Select the bills you want to pay, and click “Pay Selected Bills”
- Review the informational messages advising when the check will be received by the vendor, click ok.
- When you’re done, click “Send Items” and enter your pin.
Note the picture below for an image of how to connect to the bill pay app from within the “Banking Feeds->Bank Feeds Center” menu.
We advise against using the “Vendor-Pay Bills” method of bill payments as this will require an important separate step to be successfully completed by the operator. The separate step is the successful acquisition of “acquire exclusive use” of the online bank feeds center, as only one user may access bank feeds at a time. If the operator for whatever reason does NOT successfully acquire exclusive use, then the “vendor – pay bills” menu will default to using checks to pay bills, and will not use online bill pay. Even if online bill pay is selected as the method in the bottom of the screen!!! Note – if you are in single user mode in Quickbooks, you
will not get a dialog box asking you to “acquire exclusive use” because you essentially have it by default.
The problem with not acquiring exclusive use or using the vendor->bill pay is so common, we felt it important to show a picture of a register when bill pay is executed without the user acquiring “exclusive use” first. There are two types of “bill payments” shown in this client’s register. One is WRONG, and is posted as if the user will issue a physical check. If the user doesn’t print and send a physical check, this payment will not be processed.
The bill payments with the lightning bolt are CORRECT and are posted by Intuit Bill Pay. They have been successfully released to bill pay and payments will be printed and delivered to the vendor.
If the above happens to you, you must DELETE the WRONG check bill payments and follow the correct procedure below to initiate the online bill pay.
Also, it is important to check your message center in bill pay. If for any reason, one of your checks is returned due to being undeliverable, it will be destroyed by the bill pay center and you will be notified via your inbox in the banking feeds center right inside of Quickbooks. You’ll need to correct that vendors address and re-issue a check.
Lastly, keep in mind that voiding a check in your QuickBooks register does NOT necessarily void it in bill pay after it has already been sent. You should call them at 800-462-6765 and give them your account number so they can see if the check has already been sent and cancel it on their end. You have until close of business the same day it’s released to generally effect a cancellation of payment.